Testing Commercial Fuse Box
Domestic Industrial Test and Inspection

Since January 1 2005, all electrical work, apart from like-for-like replacements of damaged power points and light fittings is subject to approval by Local Authority Building Control Officers.

This means that work such as a new lighting circuit in the kitchen, or the fitting of an electric shower, must be notified in advance to the council. An Inspector will visit to test the work at the householder’s cost.

Electrical works forming part of a major project requiring Building Regulations approval will be included within the principal application. However, works solely carried out to the electrical system require a separate application, unless they are carried out by a competent person, registered with an approved Part P self-certification scheme.

The competent person must provide a self-certification certificate to the customer and also forward a copy to Building Control within 30 days.